Friday, August 17, 2012

Week 1 of Work


Well I have officially finished my first week of work, and guess what? I love it! God is so good and kind to me, and I again am reminded that I serve a gracious Father.
For the Lord God is a sun and shield;
                    the Lord bestows favor and honor.
                  No good thing does he withhold
                     from those who walk uprightly” Psalm 84:11. 
                    Let me tell you why I enjoyed the week.
First, teaching an intensive class (which just means the class meets everyday for two hours) means the requirements are pretty relaxed. For example, I don’t have to turn in any lesson plans! Not that I don’t have to plan, but it’s a very freeing feeling for a teacher :) Second, I have a very interactive curriculum. I do a lot of games and group work with my students, which enables me to get to know my students. Such a blessing.
And third, well today I was able to teach a lesson on Christmas! Ha, any of you that know me well know that I can get pretty excited about Christmas. I love discussing the traditions and showing pictures, but the most beautiful thing about Christmas is Christ. Today I had the privilege of sharing that with my students. The explanation was not extensive, but the conversation stemmed into other opportunities. I was able to share with them where I go to church, and I invited all six of my students (oh yeah I forgot to tell you that my class that was only suppose to be two students grew to six, but I am thankful for that as well). Some of them wrote down the information, so I am praying that maybe a few will show up Sunday! Please, please pray with me for them. 
After class, one of my students asked me what my religion was. I explained to her that the most important thing is a relationship with Christ, and that only happens through recognizing your sins, asking God for forgiveness, and putting your faith in what Jesus did for us on the cross. To be honest, I don’t know if I should have given a lengthier answer, but I pray God uses that- I am still learning how to share the Gospel.
Also, I started a Spanish class this week. This is great practice for me, as I can get around speaking, but my grammar needs some definite improvement. Yesterday I was able to share my testimony with my Spanish teacher as we were walking to a museum. I see God’s sovereignty in so many ways; because Cuenca was where God really started to soften my heart to Him, I can easily find segways into my testimony. She could be a believer, but I am not for certain. However, I do praise God that He gave me the opportunity to share!
God is at work here in Cuenca, and I am excited to see what the next weeks and months will bring. Again, please pray for my students, and I will let you know the turn out on Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment