Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Remedy for Homesickness


Finally it hit me-I am not going to see my family for a long time. I think life has been such a roller coaster the last three months that I haven’t had time to process everything that has happened. To an extent, I see that as part of God’s grace in my life. However, since my dad has left, life has calmed down, and everything kind of came to ahead. I have an apartment, I have a job, I have a bank account, I have an Ecuadorian cell phone plan, and I even a Supermaxi card (the local grocery store). I am actually living in Cuenca! And though most of the time that thought thrills my heart, I was able to be sad for the first time. My family is not perfect by any means, but every member of my family has had a huge impact on my life- I love them dearly and  am so thankful for them. 

God is teaching me that He uses all things, even the moments of homesickness. How? Well, it reenforces prayer and the need to lean on God’s truth and presence. My mom taught me that through any circumstance, even if confused by the situation, if I’m learning  to cry out to God more, than that outcome is sufficient enough. 
I think struggling also produces a special way for God to work. Usually when I am struggling, I ask God for help or encouragement. He is faithful to answer, even if I don’t see it right away. For example, when I was a little down, I just prayed and asked for help. Minutes later a friend called to see if I wanted to hang out with a group of people. Or on Saturday, I wasn’t feeling so well, and I wasn’t sure where I should go to church the next day. I really enjoyed Calvary Chapel, but I didn’t know if I should visit a different church with another friend. My lack of energy caused me to spend more time in prayer. God clearly answered my specific prayer requests and directed me back to going to la Capilla- I again thanked God for his answers; they are reminders that my God truly never leaves me.
And can I tell you Sunday was a blast?!?! First, I walked to church, which is a little bit of a walk from my place, but I enjoy the time to think and pray. When I arrived, I was a little early (unheard of for Ecuadorians!), but I was able to meet more people this way. The man in charge of the music, Brian, introduced himself. He’s originally from California, and he’s very encouraging and energetic. Last Sunday I met a girl from Ireland who serves here as a missionary; she is very involved in the ministry at la Capilla. This time I also met Gistasha ( sadlyI have no idea to spell her name), and she does non profit work for small towns here in Ecuador. She is originally from Canada, but has done her share of traveling as well. We enjoyed talking about our traveling experiences. 
Matt did a wonderful job at preaching again, speaking from John 1. I was reminded how my calling comes from God’s Word; it’s vital I be in God’s word daily so I continue to rely on my heavenly Father instead of my own efforts. My life is His, and is not about me (although I forget that quite often). 
After the service, a group of us went out for lunch. In the group were three retired couples that I loved getting to know. One couple is from Oklahoma, the other from California, and the other, well Mike is from England and his wife is from Jamaica- the variety of conversation was intriguing and entertaining! 

I am still trying to take things a step at a time, but I really enjoy going to church there, and I think there are ways I can help serve there as well.
This week has turned out to be a little more hectic than planned. I received an email yesterday to teach a class that started today-ha yep that’s Ecuador for you :) I also have a Spanish class that meets 2/3 times a week. Only two other individuals are in the Spanish class with me; pray for opportunities with them as well. Scott and Natalie are a couple from Australia that are only here for another month before they continue on with their travels. 
I really enjoyed my first day of class, and I will be sure to write about those soon (that’s a whole new post :)God has shown me more of Himself through struggles and answered prayer; I am so very thankful to be here-thanks for your prayers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment