Monday, August 27, 2012

Call to Disciple


      “...at midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the 
prisoners were listening to them…” Acts 16
As of late, I have been studying in the book of Acts. I could mention many things that the Lord has been teaching me from there. For example, the verse above shows the testimony and impact Paul and Silas were having in the midst of being imprisoned; they were Spirit filled.I think there are two main things that God has been pressing on my heart as I have mediated on this book: following the Spirit and making disciples. To be honest, I don’t think those are strong points in my life. I can be a very contemplative person and can over-think decisions.  I confuse the leading of the Spirit and the emotions of my own heart. Thankfully, that’s where the Word of God comes into play. I have to learn to live by what God teaches in Scripture. Living on my own in Cuenca has definitely put that to the test.  I am grateful for the push to know God’s word in a deeper manner, but I get fearful of the mistakes I will make.
Saturday I had the privilege of going to a wedding of a lady I have recently met through church. This was not only my first Ecuadorian wedding but also my first all outside wedding-what can I say, those are not common with the unpredictable weather of Iowa. At the reception, I was having a good conversation with a few friends, and I was asked what God has been teaching me lately. The concept of making disciples came quickly to mind. A huge part of following the Lord is devoting time to make disciples. My dad’s life is a beautiful example of that. However currently,  I don’t think I am making disciples, and I don’t think it’s for lack of opportunities. As I started to pray and ask the Lord to help me in this area, He started to bring certain people to mind. Part of disciple making is being proactive in the process, in seeking people out. 
I guess what I am trying to get at is that I need prayer, prayer for boldness to be a disciple maker. Now obviously this is not founded on my strength or determination-if so I will fail. However, God has called me here, and I want the time He has given me here to honor Him, to make much of Him. I don’t want to waste the time that was purchased with Christ’s life. I am a sinner saved by grace, and that’s the most important truth I can share with others. Pray that God will draw more souls from Cuenca to Himself and that I will play the part that He wants. 

No comments:

Post a Comment