Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Silent yet Sustaining


 “Blessed is she who believed there would be a fulfillment of what was spoken to her from the Lord.”

About six months ago I was sitting with my pastor’s wife Marilyn, and she gave me this verse. She wanted me to meditate on it because I had quite a lot of unknowns in my life as I prepared to leave for Ecuador. Trust doesn’t require understanding, and I’m pretty sure Mary’s situation was more complex than mine. I’ve been going over Luke 1 a lot this week, but I will come back to that later.  First I want to share with you some things that God has been doing. 

Last week we had a ladies event at church for Christmas-in some ways it’s similar to the event Rejoice that Saylorville does every year . We had quite a few women there, about 80 I believe (they planned for 60). God is at work in the church, and it’s a blessing to be apart of it.  Sunday also went really well. The English service continues to grow, and this week there was even a brother and sister that came to church that are young adults!!! I was excited and thankful to God for the people He is bringing. 

The four of us helped with music at the ladies event  
Enjoying a Sunday at church



Another huge praise and prayer request is Mercy. Mercy works for Karen and David (the couple I live with). She’s around my age, and she came to church with us on Sunday night. I’ve been asking her for a while, so I was pretty excited that she finally came. She was very attentive the whole service. Today I asked her about what she thought, and she told me it was very interesting. She said that what Pastor Freddy said made her think. I asked her if she would be willing to do a Bible study with me (my Dad’s bible studies), and I think she wants to try it. She also might attend the young adults group we just started at church. Please please pray for Mercy, that God would draw her heart to Himself. I’ve definitely been challenged lately by my lack of faithful prayer for those around me, so I would appreciate your prayers in that area as well.

Today I find myself needing to meditate on the truths of Luke 1 once again. When the angel first came to Mary, he said “ Greetings O favored one, the Lord is with you.” I thought about this phrase for a while. Most of the time when an angel is sent to relay a message, the first thing said is “Fear not.” But not here. Why? I don’t know for sure, but I think Mary needed to be reminded that God loved her and was with her. Even before the angel arrived, the possibility exists that she had a lot of thoughts and questions going through her mind. Though the culture and traditions of that time were different, I can only assume there were some fears and unknowns to think through before marriage. God met her where she was and told her the truth she needed to hear. She didn’t understand everything that was happening, but she responded in faith. That’s the type of response I want to have.I can get overwhelmed with the “I don’t knows”… I feel quite helpless and alone at times;  that’s how I feel but those emotions push me to prayer because all I can do is pray, and I think that’s part of the point in this season of my life. I admit I miss going out for coffee and asking my dad all sorts of questions, I miss the advice from my mom, and I miss the counsel and encouragement I received from my church family. But God is at work here too, and this is where He wants me for now, and this is where I want to stay until He shows me otherwise.

I praise God for His word.; it truly sustains. He has caused me to rejoice simply because He is good. In Nehemiah chapter 12 a verse states “And they offered great sacrifices that day and rejoiced, for God had made them rejoice with great joy.” Joy comes from knowing God and drinking in the truths of His letter to us.

Day in and day out God is with me, and He will provide and direct. Right now I may not see certain answers, but that doesn’t mean God isn’t at work. If He’s not making things clear, that means I need to learn to wait on Him. He will piece things together the way He wants when He wants.  God showed me these verses a couple of nights ago, and they have been my prayer this week.



“Prove me, O Lord, and try me; test my heart and my mind. For Your steadfast love is before my eyes, and I walk in Your faithfulness. “
Psalm 26:2-3


No comments:

Post a Comment