Saturday, July 7, 2012

Life Lately



I am so sorry! I know it has been a while since I have written. I didn’t anticipate the business that awaited me in this class. Not that it’s been a negative experience, the class has actually been very helpful. I just feel like life has continued on high speed. I have class in the morning, planning and preparation in the afternoon, and teaching at night. And we have homework along with that, so by the end of the day I am ready to get some sleep! We’ve done a few others things besides teaching, but I will start with that. 
The first two weeks of my class I taught a beginners class with three other girls. We would have between 5-7 students each night. At first, everything was overwhelming because everything was new. I felt like my previous teaching experience was not helping at all. Why? Well, teaching English as a second language is a completely different ball game. I had to (and still do) change how I looked at communicating concepts and put different thought into what activities to choose. Also, every night I get observed by one of my teachers; that is a good thing, but at first it just made everything a little more stressful (oh and I was sick for about a week). After the first week, we all started to feel a little more comfortable teaching. Also we started to get attached to our students. In my class, the age range was 14-28, but we enjoyed the mix!
Last week we changed classes- I am now in a class of intermediates. The class is bigger, between 8-10 students. The age range is even bigger, but the class loves to talk! This proves to help a lot :) 
Next week is our last week of classes. Tuesday night I am teaching by myself for the two hours. Then I have some presentations and portfolio work to present, so I would appreciate your prayers!
I have enjoyed getting to know my classmates. They are all pretty liberal, but the Lord gives me opportunity for comments here and there. It doesn’t appear that any of them are searching, but I would still appreciate prayers in that area. I have to admit I haven’t been as faithful in that area as I should be either; I wish I was more like my dad. 
In regards to what else I’ve been spending my time on, well….we have done some day trips with my class. We went to hike in cajas-it’s beautiful!   We spent this past Friday in a little town called Principal so we could teach a group of kids. The town was fairly poor, but the landscape was amazing, and it was a fun change to teach some kids. We all enjoyed the trip, but we were all tired out by the end of it for sure!
I have been able to catch up with some of my friends in Cuenca. It is such a blessing to be around and not have to leave, but I look forward to when my schedule is not so crazy-then I can spend a little more time with them:)
Hopefully that gives you a little idea to what God  has been doing. He has been faithful to watch over me, and He continues to confirm my desire to be here. I still don’t know all the things He has planned, but I am excited to find out what’s next!

2 comments:

  1. Fun reading your blog!! I'm going to pray specifically that God gives you an opportunity to share with a student about His amazing love this week. So have a God-filled week!! And keep trusting Him for the results!!
    Marilyn. Proverbs 3:5-7

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marilyn! I miss your smiles and hugs, but I am so thankful for your prayers! :)

      Delete