Wednesday, August 5, 2015

His Sudden yet not Sporadic Leading



“God’s leading is never sporadic but sometimes sudden.” This was advice I received from my uncle a few weeks ago, advice that perfectly describes what has recently happened in my life.
      At the beginning of the summer, I did a visit to Southern Seminary in Louisville, KY to explore some options. For the past few years the Lord has given me a desire to study Biblical counseling, so my mom accompanied me on a “research” trip. Everything went much better than I expected. The Lord showed me once again that singleness is a gift in this season and enables me to follow Him in some unique ways. My mom and I both thought that in a year Southern would be a great place for me to study and learn. God was most definitely listening to our prayers, but His answer was completely different than I anticipated. 
      Almost three weeks ago I was contacted by a pastor from Cornerstone Church in Ames. He received my name from Mark Vance (now director of Salt Company at ISU). The church was in search of a woman to help lead IFC. IFC stands for International Fellowship Connection- it is the church’s outreach ministry to international students at ISU. IFC has many college leaders that are a part of both ISU and Cornerstone. The IFC woman’s leader would be in charge of discipling those college girls as well as helping model evangelism with them to try and reach internationals for Christ. 
   Another ministry the church has is a school of theology with classes accredited by Midwestern Seminary. To make a long story short, this opportunity would allow me  to serve in ministry capacities the Lord has burdened my heart for and to study simultaneously.
    Initially, I thought the ministry was great but the timing was off. Even though I had started to research some graduate programs, I was excited to spend another year with my students- they have had such a big part of my life this past two and a half years. I almost didn’t go to the meeting because  I had no desire to leave my students. Yet Mark Vance was my former pastor, a man of God I greatly respect, so I told the church I would at least come and listen. After I listened, though I was intrigued by the ministry, I stopped. I had signed a contract which I take seriously. However, God had worked it out that the day I met with the men from Cornerstone, I already had planned a meeting with Jahna (my principal) for later that day. When I met with her, I was honest and transparent, not knowing what to think of what was going on- so much had happened in 36 hours. She listening and graciously told me how excited she was for me, that she wasn’t going to “get in the way” if this was God moving me. 
    I was surprised, encouraged, and terrified. At that point, I knew it was something I at least needed to pray through. The next day I was able to communicate with my pastor for counsel. He had some good and hard words to say-  he brought out some character flaws of mine from the last few years, and he challenged me to get alone with the Lord and truly search out God’s Word. I am so thankful for his rebuke and challenge -God used it to bring the Word to life in a deeper way. I headed out to Wisconsin to visit family the next day, and I soon learned God had much more in store for me during this trip than I had planned. 
    In the five days I was away, each morning I had a long period of time alone with the Lord ( the beautiful sunrise picture was from an early morning walk). Through a lot of prayer, searching, asking the Lord for direction through His word, He made it clear: He had a new chapter for me.

Side note: If you would like to know the passages/lessons God taught me, please contact and let me know. I would be happy to share, but didn’t want to write a novel!
  
This past Monday I started as a full-time staff member at Cornerstone. The last few weeks have indeed been a whirlwind, however, I am so excited, thankful (and a little scared) about this ministry and would truly covet your prayers. I will be in transition from Saylorville to Cornerstone and speaking at an event at DMCS this month, so there are lots of goodbyes and changes to come. This part is always bittersweet, but I am so thankful to all the people God has used to challenge and encourage me in my walk with Him through these years. God has truly done what He promised in His word:
I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go;
          I will counsel you with my eye upon you.  
Psalm 32:8





5 comments:

  1. Praying for you, Hannah! I am going through some similar scary transitions in my own life, but God is faithful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mara. I think transitions are hard, but also a really neat time to see God work. Just said a prayer for you that God gives clarity and grace for your transitions!

      Delete
  2. Yay! So glad you're here, and fun to read a little more about the process that God has brought you through!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! So glad you're here, and fun to read a little more about the process that God has brought you through!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved hearing your story. God is good!

    ReplyDelete